Disagreements in life are unavoidable and if things aren’t going your way, you have a right to be angry. However, when one person is more upset than another, saying “calm down” may be futile.
Here are 10 alternatives to saying “calm down” when facing an angry person:
- If you’re having a difficult time, let me help you.
- Take a deep breath and count to 10.
- I know that’s frustrating, let’s figure this out.
- You’re angry, how does your body feel?
- Here, squeeze my hand.
- How about a hug?
- Why don’t we try and fix the problem together?
- If you’re feeling bad, tell me about it.
- If you feel like hitting something (or someone), punch this pillow.
- Since all that didn’t work, let’s go to a RAGE ROOM!